Friday, January 15, 2010

Taking Offense or Taking a stand?

Hello,

Let me start of with some updates, Ben is no longer being suicidal, I only hear from him once a week, but thats alright.

Alex hasn't texted me since that day.. I am not even going to think about it.


And for the next subject...


There is a Seminary teacher that I have well...Hated, since I was in his class..

He would make comments about people that were gay, rude comments ALL the time. He was always so high and mighty and it bothers me still because he hasn't gotten any better.

My good friend was in his class when he brought up Adam Lambert, which is a touchy subject with me because not only is he an AMAZING singer and performer, but he is super hott!!

He is unique, and kind, and just.. REAL!

The world seems to act harshly towards him over that performance he gave, but he's talented and he was just trying to put on a good show, I still love the heck out of him and never thought for a second that he was any less of a singer, I got into a couple arguments with my friends who kept bashing him because he was gay and it just makes me mad that they judge him because of that. Of all the things I would describe about him, probably the last would be that he was Gay, ANYWAY

So my friend was sitting in Seminary and Brother...Pighead (lol) Kept going off saying that “yeah I agree adam lambert is like the devil you can see it in his face..”

He is constantly saying hurtful things, I mean "I constantly feel like being gay is like being a spy. When people don't know that your gay they will tell you exactly how you feel because they wont know it will offend you" that is quote that I heard on a really great movie I was watching yesterday.. Mulligans. But dont look it up to watch it because I probably butchered the quote...haaha but anyway, I sat in his class, and every other Seminary class and I knew that I was gay, and here they were at the front of the class making comments that hurt my feelings because they thought "Oh we can talk about them because they arent here" Well.. I was....

So I wrote him a letter a couple of hours ago. It was mostly just me rambling, I probably wont put it on his desk because I dont want to ruffle any feathers, even though this teacher ruffled mine almost every day I was in his class, So I will just include it here in my blog and if I never end up giving it to him. I will at least share my thoughts, even if he wont see it.

Here it is,

"Dear Brother Pighead (I didnt really put that)

Let me start off by saying that I’ve never liked or respected you as a seminary teacher. I’ve heard through the grave-vine that you were verbally bashing Adam Lambert, you are possibly the most judgmental, arrogant, pig-headed person I know.

Adam Lambert is more of a man then you will ever be, He is talented, amazing, handsome and he is genuine.
I am sick of people casting judgment on him when they don’t even know him, so what if he’s gay, its his choice! It does not make a man less manly if he happens to want to go home to a man instead of a women.

Being gay is not a disorder, disease or a threat to anyone.
What is so wrong with being in love? Loving someone who understands you, someone you can sit down with at the end of the day and love every minute with them.
I have known Gay men and women that treat their significant other better then any straight man or woman.
And what about the Gay and Lesbian Actors and Actresses out there, do you think just because their Gay , makes them any less talented? Because you’d be wrong.
Adam Lambert, Lady Gaga, Wanda Sykes, Ellen Degeneres and her beautiful wife, Portia de Rossi, Queen Latifah, Neil Patrick Harris, Tanner Cohen the list goes on! All these people have created amazing messages, people that inspire me, Ellen is the kindest person on the planet, Do you see the devils face when you look at her just because she goes home to a woman? The list of Gay, Lesbian, and Bi Actors go on forever and ever, All genuine, unique, AMAZING PEOPLE!

Lady Gaga’s message to her fans is, “Never be afraid to be who you are” and her acceptance speech at the VMA’s “This is for God, and the Gays” I look up to her so much, and I wont put up with harsh judgments from a very narrow minded, WRONG, seminary teacher.

I could talk about this for hours because though I don’t know these people personally, they all aren’t afraid to be who they are, what if one of your children grow up to be gay, will you kick them out? Will you send them to counseling because you think something is wrong with them?

I am proud to be gay and I personally take offense when narrow-minded people think they can say whatever they want, when they have no idea what their talking about.

So how about you watch what you say because you’ve offended at least me more then once in the years I took your class.

The world would be a better place without stupid, harsh comments like you’ve said about Adam Lambert and Gay people in general.

Saying someone is basically the Devil, that “You can see it in their face” is a horrible thing to say, do you think God laughed when you said that? Do you think God clapped his hands and smiled thinking how good his little worker Bee said that about one of his children.

Whether you like it or not, Adam Lambert is God’s son too, How could you say that about another human being.

I cannot believe you are in charge of all these young minds, you and your biased opinion swaying them to one side.

What if someone listening was on the fence about being gay, that they were confused about liking guys and they actually thought of ending their lives because the realized the church “hated” Homosexuals, and here you are in front of the class, pouring out your hurtful comments. How can I make such a outlandish accusation, because I sat in your class, I was so confused about liking men, I am so thankful I didn’t listen to you and your hatefulness, you made me sick to my stomach with your comments on things I felt strongly about. I am proud to say that I am not longer that silent man in the back, I am speaking up for what I believe in. I still believe in God, I still love the church, I just want a Joshua, not a Wendy.

Why don’t you consider other peoples feelings before you express your opinions and let the class join in Gay bashing.
You should be ashamed that you’ve tainted the name of the church, I am gay and I still love the church, God loves me, so why don’t you stop treating Homosexuals like their less then human. Because I know and hopefully will know more humble, respected, kind gay men, that are far better then you in every way.
Goodbye Mr. Richins I am glad I wasn’t there that day in class because I would have blown up and lost it. I held my tongue enough in your class as well as the other teachers

I AM GAY AND I AM PROUD! I wish I could put my name on this, but realize it would cause problems and your not worth my time.

I hope you realize that you cannot take sides, you have no idea if your student feels strongly against what your saying, I hope you can retract the poison you’ve spread through your years of being a seminary teacher.

-Former Student, "

Was that too much you think? I dont know.. I guess unleashed a ton of stress out in that one.. Of all the times I didnt say anything when I should have...

I know I basically rambled my way through it, but thats how I feel..And I dont think it was too harsh...

Notice that it didn't contain any cuss words, thats because the letter your reading up there was the final edit lol, I don't think cussing him out would help the message I was trying to get across, that you never know who your going to offend with what you say...

So basically what i've learned..

1. Certain Seminary teachers will always and forever be narrow minded and stupid.
2. I could watch the movie, "Were The World Mine" A THOUSAND times a day and still love it more and more.

3. Gay-interest movies may not always have a happy ending, but they always have a good message.

4. I am young, I will find Mr. Right one day, but for now I just have to focus on today, right now. On living it up and having fun , surrounding myself with Great friends and Amazing times!

Thank you for reading, Thank you for your comments, It really does mean alot.

Yours truly, Joshua



No comments:

Post a Comment